For as long as I can remember I have been a scent bandit. At the early age of four I would sneak into my grandmother’s vanity and raid her beauty and perfume collection. I could never get enough of all her Avon products. I’m sure some of you remember your first go to scent.
Mine was Primo body spray and I just couldn’t get enough of it. The smell of Primo brings me back to the age of 10 when I had my first trip to New York City. When I smell a wiff of it flashes of New York in the 80’s come to mind. It is like I just time traveled back to New York in 86′, I can smell of chestnuts roasting on the streets.
As I got older my scent tastes evolved onto something as I thought was luxurious. My best friend used to wear Elizabeth Arden Red Door daily. A gift from her grandma she was nice enough to share with me. We felt sexy and older, I’m sure we smelled it too.
It is funny how a scent can remind you of the past.
A day at the beach with the ladies.
Your first prom.
That time when you had that awesome job in the city.
That kiss with the man of your dreams.
By the time I had a part time job in high school and could afford to buy my own scents the fragrances that I normally were inclined to buy were more of a clean and crisp nature. I probably wore Ralph Cool until my mid twenties, and I actually still like the scent, but as time moved on it was time to switch it up, evolve a bit more with a scent that works well for me.
For my wedding my bestie gave me a fragrance she thought would work well with me. Who knows you better than your best friend. If they are a true friend they will tell you when your favorite outfit is “tacky” and when your new perfume should be tossed out and never worn again.
She chose for me, Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee. While it wasn’t a fragrance I would normally purchase, it’s a bit more earthier with a slight musk, I’ve fallen in love with it and it works well with my fragrance chemistry.
It is light enough for work or daily wear, yet different and enchanting. It makes my old clean Ralph Lauren scent seem boring, and yet it isn’t completely floral or musky. It has light citrus tones and it a bit woodsy and spicy, without being masculine or over bearing.
My husband surprised me with another new fragrance I like that I normally wouldn’t buy. I asked him if he chose it for the name (he’s French) but he told me he actually tried and smelled a variety before picking out my scent (too cute!) J’adore from Dior is more of a muskier scent, but it doesn’t remind me of an old lady or floral garden. It is a very sensual aroma blended with exotic orchids, Jasmine, and ylang ylang. While I would tend to wear it more in the fall or winter it still is a versatile fragrance.
If you are looking for a new scent on the market here are a few great fragrances that were launched in 2014 and a few sneak peaks at the up and coming 2015 launches!
- Knot by Bottega Venata, Think sweet and musty with clementine and orange blossom undertones. It is a very subtle and clean scent without smelling like soap. It has natural woodsy undertones. Great for spring and summer, think crisp pressed linen dresses and open toed sandals.
- Eros Pour Femme, by Vercace, Eros is the God of love, and this feminine fragrance will leave most women lusting for more and the men lusting for the woman wearing it. Blended with peony, sandalwood, pomegranate and ambrox this fragrance is a strong musky scent. This is something for an evening cocktail party.
- Wild Glo by J Lo, This perfume is for women who love all things sweet, and that’s what it is composed of. I’m a fan of J Lo fragrances. This one is one the sweet and flirty side, great for weekend nights out on the town or warm weather trips. It is made up of Vanilla, tropical fruits, mandarin, jasmine, and black currant.
- La Collection des Essences by Ellie Sab, Gardenia is a woody floral tone. It has the best of both worlds and is great for every day wear.
2015 is right around the corner so keep a look out for these up and coming new scents!
- Escada Torquoise Summer
- Zac Posen
- Shanghai Tang
- Issey Miyake L’Eau d’Issey City Blossom
- UK-based niche line Shay & Blue will launch Watermelons, a new fresh green fragrance, in March. The notes include watermelon, green mandarin, honeysuckle, crushed leaves, green tea and vetiver. Sounds divine!
What is your favorite scent?