After the summer days fade away and fall settles in, I feel the need to detox and get into a healthy fall/winter regimen. The dog days of summer where I took leisurely jogs and enjoyed vino by the pool are gone.
Instead of hibernating and slacking on my workouts and eating everything in sight loaded with carbs, I try to attempt a healthy frame of mind.
Here are a few of my healthy lifestyle choices I take to stay on the right track.
- Getting into a regular workout schedule. I try to workout at least 5-6 days per week. I tend to get super bored at the gym. There have been times when I have literally worked out shorter than it took me to get to the gym, say…12 minutes, but my theory is it is better than nothing, and it promotes that schedule thing. I try and do yoga at home 2-3 days a week. I swim 2-3 days a week, and then workout at the gym 3-4 days a week now that I have a baby keeping me busy.
- Morning hot water with lemon and ginger. Viruses thrive in cooler bodies, so I like to start off the morning with a large mug of hot water with fresh lemon and ginger to cleanse my body, warm up, and protect with ginger.
- Local honey. I tend to have bad allergies and sinus problems. I find that when I incorporate local honey on a regular basis it alleviates congestion and a sore throat. I mix it in my homemade dressings, and I just take a large spoonful ( or squeeze straight out of the bottle more like it) into my mouth.
- Edible Argan Softgels. I take this supplement year round, but I love it in the winter! Edible Argan promotes health and beauty from within. It is known to be liquid gold and for good reason, the oil is packed with great health benefits. It is high in omegas 3,6,9. It has great amounts of vitamin e, polyphenols, and antioxidants. It has been known to lower cholesterol and reduce inflammation. It makes my hair and skin lush in the harsh Canadian winters. http://www.Moroccanlifeproducts.com
- Spirulina. This is a superfood! I take it in a capsule form. It is a fabulous vegan source of protein. It boosts energy, eliminates Candida and leaky gut syndrome, and reduces inflammation in the sinuses. To top it off contains more essential amino acids, iron, protein, B vitamins, and vitamins C, D and E. Make sure you take a proper dose and consult your doctor if you have previous conditions because it has been known to thin blood when taken in large amounts.
- Probiotics. Most diseases and ailments start in the gut, so it is the first part of my body I like to keep healthy and clean. I take these a few times a week as well as a few fruit shakes made with low sugar yogurt. I like the brand New Roots Herbal. They have a great line of probiotics and they test all their ingredients for purity.
- Organic garlic. Luckily my husband loves garlic too, so we don’t have to worry about smelling like it after dinner. I love trying new varieties I find at festivals and the farmer’s market. I slice it up and incorporate it into many of my weekly meals, soups, and dishes to protect my body. It’s even helped me get rid of an ear infection!
- Jasmine Green Tea. An old time favorite of mine. I love the flavour and the little energy boost. I’m not a coffee person, so green tea varieties are my favorite.
- Oregano oil. Anytime I feel the slightest sniffle, cough, or sorethroat coming on, or even have been around sick people I go straight to my cabinet and pull out my trusty bottle of oregano oil. If you haven’t tried it before, this stuff is potent! I mix it with water, gargle, and voila! I don’t seem to ever get full blown “sick.”
- Exotic oils. I use these on my face religiously. They melt away wrinkles and leave my skin supple and fresh without causing blemishes. My favorite is Seabuckthorn oil, next to Argan and Rosehip. If I have a wound I use Tamanu. They are all excellent!
What are your health and beauty tips? I would love to hear from you!